Frequently Asked Questions
What research has been done on this topic?
Information is based on both case study examples and literature review.
We are continuing to process our resource library, see working list below.
- Arena R, Lavie C, Hivert M-F, Williams M, Briggs PD, Guazzi M. Who will deliver comprehensive healthy lifestyle interventions to combat non-communicable disease? Introducing the healthy lifestyle practitioner discipline. Expert Review of Cardiovascular Therapy. 2015;1744-8344 doi: 10.1586/14779072.2016.1107477
- Black DS, Slavich DM. Mindfulness meditation and the immune system: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Ann N Y Acad Sci. June 2016; 1373(1):13-24.
- Limited results, “Mindfulness meditation may be salutogenic for immune system dynamics, but additional work is needed to examine these effects.”
- Cutillo A, O’Hea E, Person S, et al. NCCN Distress Thermometer: Cut off points and clinical utility. Oncol Nurs Forum. 2017 May 01; 44(3):329-336.
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5839660/pdf/nihms921519.pdf Distress thermometer, cut off of 3 for clinical elevated levels of distress in CA pts
- Dhabhar FS. Effects of stress on immune function: the good, the bad, and the beautiful. Immunol Res. 2014; 58:193-210.
- Greenhalgh T, Choon Huat Koh, G. Covid-19: a remote assessment in primary care. BMJ. 2020;368:m1182 doi: 10.1136/bmj.m1 182. 25 March 2020.
- Guo, et al. https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3569846
- Neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio worse outcomes for older adults
- NLR = measure of baseline imflammation
- Losina E, Yang HY, Deshpande BR, Katz JN, Collins JE. Physical activity and unplanned illness-related work absenteeism: Data from an employee wellness program. PLoS One. 2017;12(5):e0176872. Published 2017 May 4. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0176872
- Exercising <75’/w results in a 3.5 fold increase in sick-days taken. 76-149’/w = 2.4 fold increase in sick-days taken.
- N=292, 38% obese, 83% female
- Shafer F. Ginsberg JP. An Overview of Heart Rate Variability Metrics and Norms. Front Public Health. 2017 Sept 28. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2017.00258
- Sreenivasan J, Khan MS, Anker SD, et al. Cardiovascular risk factors and complications in patients infected with COVID-19: A systematic review. Lancet preprint.
- HTN and cardiovascular disease were predictive of a complicated hospital course including acute MI, cardiac arrhythmias.
- Trivedi GY, Saboo B, Singh RB, Mageshwari A, et al. Can Decreased Heart Rate Variability be a Marker of Autonomic Dysfunction, Metabolic Syndrome and Diabetes? Journal of Diabetology. 2019. DOI: 10.4103/jod.jod_17_18
- Yang J, Jin J. Blood glucose is a representative of the clustered indicators of multi-organ injury for predicting mortality of COVID-19 in Wuhan, China. Lancet preprint.
- Fasting blood glucose >= 7mmol/L was only independent predictor for death
- “FBG is a representative of the clustered indicators of multi-organ injury and the earliest predictor for poor outcomes and death in COVID patients.”
How is the project funded?
The CISRS monitoring platform and all initial dashboards were developed by Pro-Activity. Server hosting costs for increased usage will be covered by device purchases through CISRS Garmin store. All collaborating investigators from the Academy of Prevention and Health Promotion Therapies (APHPT) and Pro-Activity are donating their time. All funding changes will be communicated as they occur.
How will this benefit me?
This is an opportunity to be on the front lines of pushing the physical therapy profession forward. You will gain knowledge in how wearables work and how, as a user you can gain information on your own health. Participants will be included in this project that will help shape and innovate future practice.
Can I use my Apple Watch, Fitbit, Whoop, or Samsung smart watch?
The CISRS platform is currently built on Garmin integration only. Cost and ease of integration currently limit our access to other devices.
What is cost to participant?
Who has access to my data?
CISRS dashboard & study information is only available to study investigators. All data is hosted on Google based platforms with access password protected on google accounts.
Can I assist with the investigators team?
We are always open to collaboration - contact the team @ Info@PTHealthStudy.org